At the registration desk, when you check in, you will be given a badge that grants you free bus transportation for the duration of the conference. It will be enough to show your badge to the driver, and you will be able to get your trips for free. Note that the free transportation will only apply during the day.
The conference will take place at the MECC Maastricht (Forum 100, 6229 GV Maastricht. Bus stop: Forum MECC). The center of town is located around Mosae Forum (bus stop: Maastricht, Mosae Forum/Centrum). The train station where you will most likely arrive to and leave from is located in Wyck (Stationsplein 29, 6221 BT Maastricht. Bus station: Station).
To find the ideal transportation to anywhere in Maastricht, you can download the app ‘9292’ (or check the website) or simply refer to google maps which is very reliable.
- By Bus: The city has a bus system called the Stadsbus(“City Bus”) that travels over most of the city and to surrounding areas. During the day time, you will have free bus transportation by showing your badge; at night time, tickets can be bought on the bus from the driver. From the center of town, to the MECC (conference location), by bus, it should take about 10 minutes.
- By Foot: This is by far the most attractive option as it allows travelers to see the beautiful winding streets in the center of the city, as well as experience the cultural melting pot that Maastricht’s location allows. Note that the conference location is a 30 minutes’ walk from the center.
- By Bike: There are thousands of bicycles in Maastricht. At around €20 per day you can rent a bike from bike shops. Dutch traffic law is heavily biased towards the cyclist, so you might find cars slowing down to let you pass when they are pulling in to a side street which you are about to cross – no sane car driver is going to cut you off since in the case of an accident the cyclist is always presumed innocent unless grossly negligent. Also, while there are many one-way streets in Maastricht, almost all (if not all) of them have a cycle lane going the other way up the street. Very handy. You can rent a bike right outside the train station. Biking from the center to the MECC, it should take about 10 minutes.
- By train: in Maastricht, there are two train stations only: one in Wyck (the central one) and one in Randwyck (the Hospital area). Trains run four times per hour between Maastricht Centraal Station in Wyck, and Maastricht Randwyck station (at the South of the City), at a cost of €2.20. The conference location is about 400 meters from the Randwyck station. Note that your free transportation badge only applies to busses and not trains.
- By Car: Travelling by Car can be painful and very expensive in Maastricht, largely due to the fact that most of the city center is pedestrian-only, and also due to the horrendous parking rates. It is often easier to park your car outside the town center and either walk or bus into the city. Nevertheless, Maastricht offers a few car rental services, including Europe Car, Enterprise and Sixt. Note that we do not encourage participants to travel by car.